A febrile seizure happens when a child gets a temperature too quickly. According to my pediatrician, motrin and tylenol will help bring the fever down, but they don't normally stop the seizure from happening because they don't work fast enough. Febrile seizures don't cause brain damage and usually only last a few minutes. If they last more than 5 minutes or are accompanied by a stiff neck, vomiting or breathing problems you should call 911. The best thing to do is to put your child on their side so they don't choke on their saliva or vomit, move everything out of the way so they don't hurt themselves (don't try to restrain their movement) and check the clock to see how long the seizure lasts because a few minutes can seem like an eternity when your child is turning blue and convulsing. Take them to the ER or your doctor after it is over so they can find the source of the fever. 30% of children who have a febrile seizure are likely to have more until the age of 6.
There is a crash course on febrile seizures that I hope no one has to use.

So glad she is alright. Sorry that would be the scariest thing in the world.
ReplyDeleteHoly crap, I read your second sentence and freaked out - that had to be the scariest moment for you, I bet!!
ReplyDeleteWow girl. Wow. Well I hope she is that other 70% that it won't happen to again! Thanks for the tips. SO GLAD she is okay.
Oh my gosh! I would have a hard time not calling 911 until 5 minutes had passed! I'd also be afraid to leave my child alone ever again! So glad she is ok!
ReplyDeleteAlso, does Cory's family have a history of them? I wrote you a msg on facebook, but I'm not sure how often you check it.
ReplyDeleteI am so so sorry!!! How scary!! I am glad to hear that she is ok! I hope you are too!!!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a scary experience :( sorry you (and Peyton) had to go through that- but so glad she is alright.
ReplyDelete